Jess Auerbach on a decolonial social science curriculum in Africa
Jess Auerbach is a member of the Social Science Faculty at the African Leadership
University, a brand new African institute of higher education, in Mauritius. Her faculty is making "seven commitments" to "shift educational discourse in a more equitable and representative direction."
Public Domain, Link
- To make all coursework and reading material open source by 2019
- To assign texts in language beyond English
- To ensure a 1:1 student exchange ratio
- To assign non-textual sources of "history, culture, and belief" because text is not enough
- To encourage collaboration with other schools and branches of social science
- To ensure that students use their own insight and experience to create media because they are producers and not just consumers of knowledge
- To inculcate the highest standards of ethics
To read the full text behind these commitments, read the full article on The Conversation.